I've talked about using Kickstarter as an experiment in crowd-funding The Future of Money TV Series. But there's another experiment hidden inside the Kickstarter...
Back in 2010 I created my first set of future scenarios about the Future of Transactions. Briefly they were:
- The Alternative Currency Consortium: An entity modeled after the W3C to facilitate interoperability between currencies and set/create/manage standards. I modeled the meetings of the ACC after the Internet Identity Workshop.[Side note: I went to work for Swift with the intention of doing standards work... but that didn't materialize...]
- The Value Exchange: Which mapped a quasi-anarchistic future in the form of sci-fi novel shorts. Partial characteristics of the entity I created, the Dischordians, were expressed in the Anonymous movement (but not the Occupy movement). It won an Honorable Mention from the Association of Professional Futurists in 2011. [I plan to expand this into an actual sci-fi story one day, sooner than later.]
- Dinner with Friends: My most familiar scenario from this set, it was made into a short film funded by Innotribe.
- The Mobile Wallet: You'll notice a Smart Check and Mobile wallet in Dinner with Friends. While the UI for these devices appears on screen for mere seconds, I created detailed UX workflows for these two future artifacts.
- Novenify: Novenify was a life extension company founded in 2016. But the most interesting aspect of this scenario is the corporate currency, the NEUX, that the founder created when she founded the company. An aspect of this currency appears in Dinner with Friends in the form of the Blue Orbit credits (corporate currency that the waiter is collecting to earn a suborbit space flight).
I conceived of the Neux three years ago. While launching the Kickstarter, I was not content to merely experiment with what exists today, but with what I believe will be possible in the future.
Novenify has a innovative payment philosophy. While we accept standard currency for our Analysis and Pro-Active Extension Program, our other programs accept payment only in Neux dollars.
Neux dollars are our own currency, developed and created by our Founder, Ms Hill. Ms Hill crowd-sourced the funding for her ground-breaking research, with all early investors having the option to receive their investment returns in our currency. At that time, Novenify was the only company who accepted this payment. In the past decade, Neux dollars have been approved for transactional currency status by the Alternative Currency Consortium. Neux dollars have subsequently gone into regular circulation.
Neux dollars can be currently be earned by highly conscious and humanity contributing individuals. Please contact us to apply. (source)
I saw this experiment for real when I met the Amsterdam Artist, Dadara, in March of this year. He showed me his Love Currency. This was more than just a voucher... it was a currency with a non-financial value encoded into it. Much like I had envisioned with Janet Hill's Neux currency.
When I went to create the Kickstarter, I decided to make NEUX for real and encode certain values in it.
I'd like to introduce you to the NEUX.
The values encoded in NEUX are not financial. It is a belief in a positive, inclusive, systematic view of the financial system that abundantly offers/creates the ability for currency to circulate in the market system, for the co-existence of diverse, complimentary and even adversarial currencies, products, systems and infrastructures to co-exist.
You can get your own NEUX by financially backing the Kickstarter. You're exchanging a financial value into a non-financial valued currency. The ratio is 1 to 1 at the $100 level. Want some NEUX? Choose from one of these two levels with a bonus round:
- $5 for NEUX: I'll randomly send you some NEUX. I can't tell you how much that would be. The future is uncertain and so it the amount of NEUX at this level. ;)
- $100 for 100: You'll receive 100 NEUX (along with the other rewards at the $100 level)
- NEUX BONUS: At $500, you'll get your name (or may remain anonymous) on the backside of the currency.
What may become of NEUX currency? I have some ideas I will share in time. Like in the Novenify scenario, there may be a time when NEUX currency is the only form of payment for certain products, services or information.
This is an experiment in layers. Like my films show layers of the future.
Don't be left out of the NEUX experiment. Come play with us and together we will create the future.