I am staying in the Sacred Valley outside of Cusco. Here is a brief update -
- LAX to Toronto: great flight, arrived way too early in the morning. watched it snow all day before boarding a packed flight to Lima
- Has nice conversation with my seatmate - a canadian oil and gas guy who also lives in Lima.
- Arrived at 11pm in Lima. Customs, get my bags and head over to the hotel across the street for 5 blissful hours of sleep and a shower.
- Caught an early flight to Cusco. Flew over the Andes, my face pressed to the window. As we got closer to Cusco, craggy snow topped mountains poked out of the cloud cover.
- My friend Anna, met me at the airport holding a sign with my name. I was so happy to see her. Although we don´t see each other much, she and I have much in common and always enjoy each other.
- Bus ride to Pisco, the town she is staying in, on a winding road through the Andes. The lower part of the mountains are lush and green, the tops hidden in the clouds.
- I´m staying in the house called ¨The Condor¨ It is the home of a shaman - although he is on vacation at the moment. I am in the yellow room and it a beautiful place.
- Checked out the local market yesterday - so many cool things.
- It was the first day of carnival yesterday and there were several local dances.
- My friends made me drink coca tea for the altitude sickeness - it really helped a lot and I am feeling much better today. In anther day, I should be back to my usual effervscent self.
- The kids in town have massive water balloon fights - in fact they are gangs of water ballon fights. I got to witness this first hand yesterday.
That´s it for now.... Actual writing a bit later....
I waited extra for him because his number was 13331. I was groggy. Hell, I still am groggy, but put any electronic device in my hand I can work it in my sleep. We had a nice chat even though it was a hassle to make me go through customs and then come back in via security.
I am much amused. Amused that to go to Peruvian jungles in South America, I must go to Canada and experience a snowstorm. But I also experienced watching the rising of a blood red orange slice moon from the air. And the subsequent blood orange red sunrise over downtown Toronto.
Tomorrow I'm off to Peru to visit one of my pals - Anna - who is staying in the sacred valley outside of Cusco.
I have very vague plans. I'd like to see Macchu Picchu. Beyond that, I have no idea what I will do or see. In fact, I don't even know the name of the town I am staying in. I'll be back to LA in time to drive to Austin, Texas for SXSW.
1. Link to your original tagger(s) and list these rules in your post.
2. Share seven facts about yourself in the post.
3. Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they’ve been tagged.
1. I did a bunch of baton and beauty pageants when I was a teenager and took home a lot of trophies, plaques, medals and ribbons. I spent the rest of my life proving (to myself) that just cause I'm pretty doesn't mean I'm stupid. And trying to get people to notice my brain instead of my tits.
2. I have lived independently since I was 16.
3. My mom almost sold me for 10,000 camels in Egypt when I was 17. (Not related to #2 above.) Several years later, a guy tried to steal me from my grandmother when we were in a store in the Cairo Bazaar.
4. I initially wanted to be an Egyptologist and comparatively study the pyramid construction and civilizations of Mexico and Egypt.
5. My only regret in life is that I stood my grandmother up for breakfast once.
6. I love 70s music - both the disco and soft rock variety. I have an especial fondness for the soft rock guy songs like Goodbye Stranger, Sister Golden Hair and Centerfold.
7. I've lived in many types of environments: a rural "farm" with barn and at varying times chickens, pigs, horses, sheep, goats, pond, well pump, etc. 5 miles on a gravel road in the middle of a forest in Iowa. Suburban Kansas City with all the backstabbing a 13 year old girl could handle. Bohemian Berkeley where everyone expressed themselves and expects you to be fine with it. A beachfront apartment in Northern Brazil with the tourists and local whores. And other places.